Um yeah, so it's three weeks until the Sedona Marathon.
Here's what I've been doing:
1) Running on the treadmill. Running outside is still better, but I get burnt out easily doing the same routes each week. So I mixed it up the past couple of weeks by hitting the free treadmill in my apartment complex. Last week I did two speed workouts and one hill workout before taking the weekend off completely to visit my sister. This week I did a 60-minute "steady hill climb" on Monday and a 7-mile tempo run with some added incline in the middle and speed at the end.
2) Strength training. And that includes writing out everything I do during each session so I can be on the lookout for improvements.
10 squat lunges x2, 10 narrow stance squats x2 sets, 20 push ups x2 sets, 30 sec planks x3 sets, 10 wide stance squats x2 sets, 5 single arm over head press x2, 20 Russian twists feet planted 16lbs. x 2 sets, 20 Russian twists feet raised 8lbs. x2 sets
Incline Bench - 60 lbs x 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps; Flys - 15 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets; Tricep row - 25 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets (x 2 sides); Biceps curls - 15 lbs x 10 reps, 10 lbs x 8 reps x 2 sets; Over head dumbbell extension 25 lbs x 12 reps, 10 reps x 2 sets; Planks 30 sec x 9
10 walking planks (5 then reverse) x 2 sets, 10 push-ups , 1 min plank x 2, Side-lying hip adduction 20 reps x 2 (x 2 sides), 20 hip bridges w/o pause, side lying crab hip adduction progression (50 reps), donkey-kick progression (50 reps), 2 burpess (lol), side planks 10 seconds x 2 reps (x2 sides)
20 minutes elliptical, Incline bench - 60 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets, Overhead tricep extension - 25lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets, Bicep curls - 15 lbs x 20 reps x 2 sets + 10lbs x 20 reps, Weighted Squats - 25lbs x 20 reps + 20 lbs x 20 reps, Planks - 1 minute x 4, Side planks 15 seconds (x2 sides), 60 sit ups
3) Eating. I have gained ten pounds since the end of October, from a low of 110.6 to now 120.8. Most of it is muscle... I think. I eat meat every day now, but still not very much dairy. Other staples include rice, Clif bars, and almond butter sandwiches, along with eggs, kale, salmon and beans. I do eat beef and pork every week as well.
4) Drinking. I can't remember the last day that went by where I didn't consume one or more alcoholic beverages. I'm ok with that. Also, box wine.
5) Planning. Planning a race is my favorite. From picking out a race, to analyzing the course, to stalking people in the list of last years' race results. I originally set a goal for Sedona to finish in under 4 hours. My past marathon performances were 4:03 in LA and 4:09 in Lincoln. However, Lincoln was a MUCH better performance. Sedona is hilly...
This weekend - last long run. Twenty miles and needs to include hills for sure. I also have to keep up with foam-rolling and stretching to keep my foot and hip from going to shit.